Monday 11 May 2009

irc problem

I use BSNL dataone service. Today, after connecting to the internet, I when I fired up Kopete to connect to IRC, I was not able to. I checked my connection with a ping to www.google.com and found my connection to be working fine. So, I checked my Kopete settings to ensure they were alright and so they were. Kopete does not show messages from the server. So, I came back to command line and fired up irssi. I got the following messages:
Irssi: Looking up irc.freenode.org
Irssi: Connecting to irc.freenode.org [213.232.93.3] port 6667
Irssi: Connection to irc.freenode.org established
*** Looking up your hostname...
*** Checking ident
*** Couldn't look up your hostname
*** No identd (auth) response
*** Banned: You have a host listed in the DroneBL.
For more information, visit
dronebl.org/lookup_branded.do?ip=59.93.128.10 Please contact
kline@freenode.net with questions. (2009/05/11 08.32)
ERROR Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Banned)
Irssi: Connection lost to irc.freenode.org

I visited the site indicated and found that it had been banned for running an insecure SOCKS server. Now, BSNL assigns a different IP each time you connect. So the obvious solution was disconection and reconnection thereafter.

I requested for removal of the ban because whoever caused the ban is no longer on that IP(, though he may return on it).

No comments: